Lamorna to Cot Valley

15/7/13 After a warm night and light breakfast at the YMCA, we caught the bus back towards Lamorna. A gentle stroll down the valley brought us back to the path in the Cove. We vaguely remembered it being rocky from the evening before, but it was quite tricky terrain in places.

Once on the top though, it did seem more like how you'd expect a coastpath to be.

Boscawen was only a temporary respite though, soon we were back down on the rocks in St Loy's Cove.

There were several more up and downs to come. We could see some walkers in the distance at Porthguarnon

and they gave us something to aim for.

Next cove was Penberth and we were starting to get thirsty now.

So at

Porthcurno, we took a slight detour to get some drinks. We also then stopped in Porthgwarra for a pasty which we ate in the shade of the lookout station on Gwennap Head. There was little shade to be had now as we could see the Longships lighthouse and Land's End in the distance.

Most of the walking was along the cliff tops now and it became busier with people from Land's End. At the far end of Mill Bay, we did spot some seals bobbing up and down in the sea weed.

One of their heads is just visible above.

We were tempted to get another drink at Land's End, but the price put us off especially when we saw the sign saying one mile to Sennen.

We descended into the village knowing what was at the end.

At the Old Success Inn we had pints of Proper Job (4.5%) and Tribute (4.2%) for £6.90. It was a pleasant refuge from the weather, but the pints hardly touched the sides.

Helicopters had been around a few times that day. One seemed to want to show off along Whitesand Bay.

The path from here goes along the back of the beach and through the dunes until eventually coming back out onto the cliff tops. We were heading for St Just and so as the footpath went inland up Cot Valley for a short distance, we took the opportunity to keep going. We headed for a shop in St Just, but unfortunately missed the bus stop and with it the Penzance bus. So we had to wait for the coastal open-top bus back through Sennen, Land's End, Porthcurno etc back to the YMCA. The sun went in for the first time that day and it was chilly for the first time in a while. We then had the long drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment