Plymouth to Whitsand Bay

6/10/12 Drove to Ivybridge, then bus to Plymouth for this one. We walked from the city centre towards the Cremyll ferry and passed Sippers.

It had been shut on our previous visit. It was open this time, but we were the only customers and it did feel more like a restaurant. When a couple came in to ask for directions to our ferry, the answer sounded misleading. After our two pints of Doom (4%) for £6.20, we went off in a similar direction. The couple joined the ferry queue after us. The other side of the water is the Edgecumbe Arms.

We had pints of Trelawney (3.8%) and Proper Job (4.5%) for £6.50 and sat at the water's edge in the sunshine looking back towards the dockyard. Our walk started through the ornate gardens of Mount Edgecumbe country park. Looking through the trees, we caught one last view of Plymouth's waterfront.

A couple of miles later we approached the village of Kingsand. I wasn't expecting the Rising Sun to be on the path, but the sign said otherwise.

It was quite busy and we had pints of Sharp's Red Ale (4.1%) and Skinners Heligan Honey (4%) for £6.20. Further down the hill in the village centre near the sea front is the Halfway House.

We were the only customers here and the beer, Doom (4%) and Betty Stoggs (4%) for £6, was not brilliant. It was quite dark inside, but they did have a telly on which kept us awake. Moving on around the narrow streets, we came to Cawsand.

The Cross Keys is in the centre. There were a few people here in the autumn sunshine We had Kernow King (4.3%) and Beer Rocks' Scary (4.4%) again for £6, but they were again a little disappointing. An expensive pasty from the local shop later, we set off towards Rame Head. The coast path usually cuts the corner at these promontories, but there were no signs telling us do so this time. So we went up to the old chapel. This is looking back towards Bolt Head.

And this is looking forwards to Dodman Point, probably.

From here, we enter Whitsand Bay. The path goes up and own amongst the many chalets built on the hillside overlooking the bay. There is a road along the top that the bus route follows. Having visited more pubs than anticipated, we were running behind schedule and didn't make it as far along this road as I had hoped. This was exacerbated by a long stop in Plymouth before catching the next bus back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment